In our use of time we need to give attention to the appropriate urgency. I'm also learning that we must consider emotions so that a specific and healthy response is taken. Not all emotional responses are good. But if it helps in overcoming inactivity then consider it good. An impression without expression can lead to depression (inactivity or passivity). We want to use our time well, so as not to be run by the tyranny of the urgent nor fall into passivity because we aren't listening to our emotions. Let me give a personal example.
I can get pretty upset over things that are broken--like an injured body part or damaged car. I could be mad because I want things to work just right, in a perfectionistic and superficial way, which I admit. But there is a higher motivational response that is triggered from heaven that I'm also echoing. God created everthing well. And when he was done with creation he called it good. When creation and all that is within is operating the way its design, it is good. This is what God likes and I like it too. When things don't work the way that God intended, it's okay to be upset and even mad. We usually get mad over things that aren't right. I'm learning how to convert my negative reactions to superfluous brokenness and turn it into a positive emotion of anger towards injustice and lack of health in people's bodies to stir me in more fervent prayers.
Emotions can help us to identity what things upon which to personally respond and take proper action. There are lessons for us on how to be stewards of all emotions, even anger, so that we can have right responses that imitate God's heart and will in all situations.
So if you have been tracking with me, we are learning to live our life by the urgency of the hour and avoid the tyranny of the urgent. We are also learning to use the healthy emotions of our soul to provide motivational and actual steps of activity. What are the usual urgent tasks in your life that either yield greater or less fruitfulness? What do you often get mad over and could that be an indicator towards how you should use your time? What other ingredients would you add to this productivity sandwich? What items aid ones ability to make good use of time?
No comments:
Post a Comment