Friday, March 06, 2015

Reverse Gratitude

If we're trying to be humble, we probably don't want to be acknowledged for most of our accomplishments. Equally true is the fact that we still like recognition.  But what if you had to list those things that people thank you for?  And what if you had to publicly write about those top areas that people keep recognizing in you with praise? Then you may be blogging, like I am right now.  It's an exercise in greater self awareness if you have never done it.

What we like to do can quite often be different than what others think we like. But to give attention to what others are expressing gratitude towards in you can help you see something that you may have not noticed before.  People can see things in us that we would normally miss.  Being aware of them can aid in discovering something about our destiny.  Our identity--and what we enjoy doing--is a key to walking in our purpose. Paying attention to the gratitude related to what others see us doing successfully will give us pointers to our identity and thus destiny.

Here is an example.  People have noticed my desire to serve.  It's an innate willingness to try to meet peoples needs.  Serving others gives me satisfaction. When I humbly accept this attribute for which others seem to thank me for I find fulfillment. What I'm learning is that the sooner I embrace this part of my makeup, the sooner I'm capable of fulfilling Gods purposes and destiny for my life.  Because who we are and what we enjoy doing are intricately linked to our destiny.

Another aspect for which people have thanked me is my teachings.  I'm not that great at it but perhaps some enthusiasm with which I do it conveys something that allows others to learn.  Hence, this blog, which allows me to share what I'm learning, hopefully combining a willingness to serve and instructions for others.  

What has others shown thanks to you for things you just normally do? Is it something for which you see as a significant part of your modus operandi? 

No comments: