Sunday, February 25, 2007

Aviation...suddenly!

I'm back...
in aviation...
well, almost.
I'm off for training for two months in just two days. It came together so fast. I didn't realize that March 5th was right around the corner. Just one week ago I was continuing my research for how I was to get back into aviation--flying being on hold for the past 4-5 years while starting a church. Just two days ago I did a phone interview with ATP for their Airline Transition Program and found out I was qualified. I had a possible job flying in Norway, but that fell through, or at least it won't happen for about a year. In the meantime, I was doing my homework. After getting counsel from my pilot friends, I determined that getting a job with the Regional Airlines would be my best aviation career move. Although I currently don't have the flight time requirements, when I successfully finish ATP's program I will have a guaranteed interview with a commuter Airline.

It's a little bit exciting but mostly stressing as I'm trying to prepare to leave in time. The program is also going to be pretty intense. Good preparation for Initial Pilot Training for the Airlines, though. I have not flown consistently for several years, only the bear minimum to stay IFR current and to maintain my Flight Instructor license. I'm excited about the prospect of getting jet time and flying heavier aircraft. If I get in the Airlines, which my pilot friends are confident I can do, then it will be a big upgrade from what I have been flying. Yeah!

While I love what I have been doing the last year, mostly construction, doing home renovations and remodels, it's long overdue to get back into aviation. If you think of me, pray that I can meet the challenge before me. I have to quickly intergrate back into the commercial instrument standards.

So if you don't get a reply from me in a while now you know why. Part of the reason this opportunity came up so quick is that in order to complete the program before my sister's wedding in May I had to start the first week of March. This wasn't fully realized until this past week. Yikes...gotta go finish packing and leaving my house in order. But if everything isn't in order that is okay. As I will be leaving my new house (that I bought this summer) in the good hands of my roommates. I will try to post some pictures of it when I get back and maybe I will have a photo of me flying in a CRJ (http://www.atpflightschool.com/equipment/crjsim.html).

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hey Andrew! Mom and I read your blog and she says "Sugoi!" We really enjoyed. It was funtastic, except don't you know you are also part Swede? There is a lot of snow here, but you probably already knew that. I have a national latin exam next week! YIKES! Talk to you soon! Actually I think I'm going to call you right now...

Love you!

Karis [and Mommy]